Skip Navigation
Decathlete- Westin Conahan

Student Spotlight – Westin Conahan

• Posted April 28th, 2013 |

This week’s Student Spotlight is focused on Westin Conahan. Westin is the 3D visualization lead on Team Las Vegas’s architectural team. He has been involved with the project since conceptual stage, and his work includes DesertSol’s computer generated walkthrough and various 3D renderings. He is currently the Director of the Western Quadrant of The American Institute of Architecture Students(AIAS) and the 2013 President-Elect of AIAS National.Westin will graduate with Bachelor’s of Science in Architecture in May 2013 with a minor in Solar and Renewable Energy.

student spotlight of the week - westin conahan

Hometown:Los Angeles, CA
Favourite Quote: “Music is liquid architecture; Architecture is frozen music.” ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Favourite Color: “Without a doubt, ORANGE.”

How did you get into architecture?
I actually stumbled into architecture. At a young age, I had always been passionate about the arts and would often find myself sketching. Throughout High School, I went to an Arts academy where I studied theater design and stage technology. As I started college studying business, I realized that I missed the arts. I quickly applied to study architecture and haven’t looked back since.

What is your dream job?
That’s easy, a rockstar. If not that, I am interested in working in a firm that has a large focus on urban renewal and architectural repurposing of buildings. If done correctly, architecture can bring a city to life. I want to be a part of that revitalization and creation of living spaces in urban environments. Ultimately, starting a firm with that focus is a goal of mine.

What do you do for fun?
I love discovering new music and enjoy going to concerts. I also enjoy travel. Lately, I have been trying to read more and also practice the guitar.

Why did you get involved with Solar Decathlon?
I got involved with the Solar Decathlon because I was interested in being part of designing a sustainable project that was going to get built. I can’t imagine anything more satisfying than seeing a project go from conception to completion. I look forward to be able to walk through DesertSol.

Tell us something we don’t know about you.
I have a secret man-crush on Ryan Gosling.

What is your favorite feature in DesertSol?
The fold-away doors adjacent to the living area that disappear to create a connection to the outdoor patio space, giving residents the opportunity to truly experience the beauty of the Mojave desert.

What do you love about Las Vegas?
Las Vegas has an interesting start and a dynamic history. I like that Vegas is not defined by it’s history and is capable of constant reinvention and evolution. It is an adolescent city just getting ready to be a 20 something. I am excited to see how our city evolves.